Chat in Moodle
Your Moodle course may also include chatrooms. You can always identify a Chat activity, wherever they are and no matter what they’re called, by looking for the distinctive chat icon. They are indicated within a unit or module like this:
If a course has a chatroom in it, there will usually be a direct link to each Chat activity within that course’s unit or module groupings on the homepage. Some courses will also have links in a detailed Course Menu block found in the right or left margin of your course homepage. To use a chatroom:
- Navigate to the appropriate chatroom page.
- Read any information or instructions for the chatroom that may appear. The instructions appear beneath the chatroom’s entry box.
- Click on the Click here to enter the chat now link. A new window containing the chatroom will open.
- Type any text you wish to post in the box at the bottom of the chatroom window, and press the Enter key to post your text. Your text will appear in the chatroom window, along with the time it was posted and your username (so you can tell who posted which messages).
- For more information on advanced chat techniques, click on the ? icon next to the box you type your text into. This help screen will give you information on how to use emoticons, etc.
- NOTE: you will not see any text on the screen which was posted before you entered the chatroom.
- To exit a chatroom, just click on the X in the top, right-hand corner of the chatroom window.